Home > Trip > Dispatches > Daily Dispatches > Daily Dispatch #155

May 12: Pre-Potluck

We got up early this morning. I got dressed and went outside to feed the herd and to check on Hrimmi. She was standing by the gate, looking at me expectantly – essentially saying “What ARE we going to do today?”

I said “You have a busy social schedule. You’re going to get exercised and then I’m going to show you off the friends. Signy, who was listening in, said “Oh, more people coming over, huh. This foal and I could use some down time.”

Raudi, who was by the far gate, said “Those people who are visiting better pay attention to me!” Then Tinni chimed in, saying “how many times do I have to tell you, you don’t run the show around here!” Lastly, Siggi spoke up saying, “Hey, don’t forget to tell the dude it’s my eighth birthday.”

Breakfast was ready by the time I returned to the main cabin. Over oatmeal, Pete and I discussed the day’s plans. We didn’t get much beyond agreeing that Hrimmi needed exercise. There was, it seemed, too much be done to talk about it.

And so, after breakfast, we headed in the direction of the horse shelter. We tied Siggi, Tinni, and Raudi in their respective places. As Pete opened the gate separating the large and small paddock, so that Hrimmi and Signy could have access to the paddock, I first got the tack out, and then ran and grabbed my camera. Pete saddled and bridled both horses, and after we took Siggi down to the road. There, I took his and Pete’s photo, this before next fetching Raudi. We rode around the loop, leaving Tinni to eat and foal watch.

I was, as we rode, struck by the fact that Siggi loves Pete, and very much enjoys having him be his rider. Neither one

Siggy's eighth birthday

seems to be concerned about doing things right – this used to fry my buns – but I have since developed a hands off attitude. They’re both happy, and have a good relationship on the ground, and under saddle.

Upon our return we reversed the earlier order, putting all the horses in their respective places. After, Pete and took Hrimmi and Signy for a quick walk down road. Hrimmi raced around, checking this and that out. Signy walked slowly behind Pete, while I took innumerable photos.

Twenty minutes later, we put the pair away. Then Pete went to town to get some last minute shopping done. He’s also going to pick up the video that I inadvertently left at the bookstore the other day. He’ll return it to the video place, and I will momentarily resume what I started last night – house cleaning. I couldn’t go for a ride last night because four moose were wandering about the property.

I’m expecting (with students) about 50 people to show up. We’re making chili. The beans are cooking on the stove.  

It started raining around 3 p.m. just as the first visitors arrived. I was amazingly calm about this. I showed students, Camille and Torre Hrimfara, and we stood talking for fifteen minutes or so, about our lives and about horses. They left, and then Monica and Emily showed up. This was a longer visit, with both spending a lot of time with all the animals, then coming inside and eating chili.

They departed, and I figured well, it’s 4 p.m. – no one is coming to visit. Pete verified, saying that from town it looked like there was a major cloud cover. I was okay with this – I needed to clean my tack room and figured I now had the time. The adage, have a foal and they will come then proved to be true. People started arriving – in droves. Every time I looked up, someone else was pulling in. The numbers included people I hadn’t seen for some time, and some I’d seen last week. Old friends and new, it was so good to converse, although with so many people here, I did not get to talk as long as I would have liked with everyone. This included my friend Valerie who lives in Anchorage and I have not seen in three years.

Hrimmi was the center of attention all afternoon – and she loved every minute of it. Signy, maybe less so – but she put up with all the gushing and cooing – and some even noted that she indeed, is also a beautiful horse and good mother. Tinni and Siggi and Raudi got some, but not enough attention. I have vowed to make this up to Raudi, who is definitely feeling as though her nose is out of joint.

I took Hrimmi and Signy out of the pen and walked them around, then let them loose in the paddock. Hrimmi put on a very nice show for everyone. Then Laurie Jo Green, who is my photography mentor, showed up and began taking photos. Right at that moment, the sun began to shine. Is there such a thing as coincidence? I think not.

Most, around 6 p.m., went up to the cabin to eat – I stayed down with the horses, and greeted still others, who arrived late. Seeing everyone mill around, it occurred to me that animals are what make us human. My way of relating to people (sometimes) is via animals. This is probably not a healthy thing – but I suspect that if I did not have the goats, dogs, chickens, horses, that I’d retreat further into my own head. And right now, I would not have anything to write about that would interest others.

Post Potluck
So, after almost everyone left, Pete and I hunkered down in the kitchen addition with our friend Heather Ash and our friends Steve and Anne Corinne, and their kids, Leila and Trillium. We talked for a while about who was here, and then we went and looked at this website. Anne Corinne had some very definite ideas as to how to make it more accessible to readers. And Pete’s going to make some major changes. I’m really appreciative of her comments, and about his willingness to dinker and tinker with this thing. I don’t have the knowledge or the patience to do this.

All n’ all, a very good day. It’s far better to have days like this when you are alive rather than dead because when you are dead, you are not around to appreciate it.

Next: 156. 05/13/12: Pete’s Birthday