Home > Dispatches > Daily Dispatches 2018 >Daily Dispatch #335

December 1, 2018: Textbook

This is the term that I use to describe a better than average outing with the ponies. I’m now going to use it to describe today’s events.

First of all, there is the proposal. A few weeks ago I wrote about how difficult it was to face the blank computer screen. I know for a fact that this was so; however, writing angst, like physical pain, is quickly forgotten.

It got easier to work on. Today was the easiest day of all. The Fork proposal isn’t finished, but I now feel okay about sharing it with Pete. He knows the subject matter as well as I do, so he will be able to suggest revisionary and copy editing changes.

Alys and Tyra walk up to the arena
Alys and Tyra walk up to the arena

It was interesting – I lifted my biographical section out of the proposal that I, ahem, crafted for the former University of Alaska Press editor. And at the same time, I read that old proposal. It was actually well written. The problem was that the then editor just led me along – he never saw my project as being publishable. And I put two years into it. Today, in looking at this document, I realize that it would have been publishable if I’d gotten a smidgeon of editorial assistance.

Sigh. So hope again springs eternal. I have to believe that I have a textbook proposal here.

I printed up the proposal and left a copy on the table for Pete to read at his leisure. Then I headed out. I didn’t have a horsey homeschooling plan – all I knew was that it was Tyra and Tinni’s day. I assessed the situation. It was overcast, raining just a bit, not a great day for body awareness work. So I decided to take the two T’s for a woods walk. I first did body awareness work on their legs and my arms and legs, and then we set out. Tinni and Tyra now know the routine and the route so this made it all that much more enjoyable.

We hiked on all our trails and did the Jim’s Road Creek Trail loop. Tyra remained close as the gun shots grew louder. She’s now very self-assured on the trail – she also knows where she can and can’t deviate from the main route. And Tinni enjoys watching her. I noticed that the eye he had surgery on is now tear free and clear.

We arrived at Jim’s Road Trailhead – I stuck out my hand, and Tyra returned and touched it as two snowmobilers flew past. Tinni doesn’t care about such things. And I let them both run home once we were again on our road. Tinni (Pete said) went right to the entrance of his paddock and waited, and Tyra went over to the hitching post and stood next to Hrimmi who was tied up.

Pete had gotten Hrimmi out and was in the process of getting Raudi out upon my return. It was by now dusk – I figured that I’d do some body awareness work with her and call it good. But I, who never bypass a riding opportunity, assisted him in getting the two mares ready for an outing.

The subsequent ride was, shall I say it? Textbook. Both horses were nicely forward and responsive. The trail surface was good, and it was windless. As I later told Pete, it was a great day for a ride.

Textbook. This is the day that was.

Next: 336. 12/2/18: A Conversation with Spiffy

Horse Care Home About Us Dispatches Trips Alys's Articles