Home > Dispatches > Daily Dispatches 2019 >Daily Dispatch #309

November 8, 2019: Slogging Along

When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
                         Hunter S. Thompson

I have now made several attempts at writing this first sentence. I think the problem is that I am attempting to work off the above quote. I can’t seem to make the connection between tough going and slogging along. I guess this connection is going to have to be inherent.

A sloggy situation is one in which, for external reasons, the going is very slow. I can think of some memorable days sea kayaking, when it just seemed like I wasn’t making any headway. This was mainly because of headwinds. The scenery

Young Hrimmi running lose
Young Hrimmi running lose

in such instances also seemed to be much the same. Bicycle touring too – long hill climbs, in the rain, again with headwinds, slog material for sure. I have never slogged on horseback. What does that tell you?

Today felt like a slog. It felt as though I was attempting to wade through quicksand. I’d hardly say the going was tough, because I didn’t go far. It almost felt like I was in a state of suspended animation.

The reason is, of course, that Pete is now in sunny California visiting family members and friends. I do not begrudge him this trip; in fact, I said to him that its too bad that his trip is so short. He left last night, Thursday night late, and will get home late Monday night.

In the meantime, I’m here, keeping the home fires burning. I woke up this morning and was convinced that it was Saturday. I have to go in to school and work on my practical exam stuff, yes, this is what I thought. Then I realized that yesterday was Thursday; therefore, today must be Friday. I was pleased to have come to this all-important realization because I wanted to stay put.

The sun was shining brightly – a rare event these days. It was cold. The animals were chipper. I spent a portion of the morning studying – using visualization in an attempt to get my practical exam scenarios down. It was slow but I did make some progress.

I then got a call from Carmen Summerfield who had previously said she’d like to come over and go for a walk with the horses. She did come over, at noon. I first gave her the Squalor Holler tour, and then we took Tinni and Hrimmi for a walk.

The horses did seem to enjoy themselves. I don’t know if Carmen enjoyed the trail walk – it is a bit of a slog on foot because the trails are winding and narrow and have a lot of tree roots. Hrimmi raced around, as did Ryder. Tinni followed behind Carmen who was leading him. He moved at a brisk pace.

After, Carmen showed me photos of her recently deceased horse, Lawrence. Lawrence seemed to me to be the antithesis of my horses. He was a thoroughbred/Arab cross, very light on his feet. I don’t think that Carmen took to my horses who are somewhat heavy on their feet.

After she left, I did agility with the mares. I still have some problem solving to do.

Now the evening looms ahead. It’s not even 7:00 p.m. and its dark out.

Tomorrow will be a day in which I hopefully will move a bit more lightly on my feet.

Next: 310. 11/9/19: Here and There

Horse Care Home About Us Dispatches Trips Alys's Articles