Home > Dispatches > Daily Dispatches 2018 >Daily Dispatch #132

May 12, 2018: Giddy Up

All I can think tonight is about how much time and energy four horses take. It really is mind-boggling. And no, I don’t know why at times I do it. Sometimes I have to dig down way deep to get the job done, like in winter when it’s 11 p.m. and its below zero. I then go out and check on them, give them more hay and water, and clean up the poop. I then again do the same in the morning. And with limited daylight, I get out and exercise them.

It’s now spring, and admittedly, tending to the horses is a whole lot easier. But now there are of course other time consuming tasks. For one, they are chewing the wood logs at the base of their pen fence, so I am constantly cutting down and throwing them saplings.

The mares eating

And because they are shedding, I am constantly brushing them. And additionally, I am having to clean up the front area by their hitching post, which contains spent hay. And on and on it goes.

Oh, and let’s talk about exercise. The horses are on a dry lot, so they have to get their exercise somehow. Four horses, an hour a day each (at least) is four hours, minimum. Beforehand, I have to do some planning; that is, figure out what I am going to do with each of them, be it riding or ground work in the playground of higher learning. Most days, they all get out. Other things that need doing, both on Pete and my part, then fall by the wayside.

Today is an excellent example. Pete went to town to assist with a trail-area clean-up. Then he spent time as a greeter at the recycling center. I stayed home and first worked on Forks, and I then went out and, after brushing him, took Tinni out on the trail. I did this because he did not get out yesterday. It was a wonderful ride – he was full of spunk and happy to be out and about. There were little maintenance things that also needed to be done. His sheath was swollen, so I checked his vitals. And he was coughing, so I came up with a way of soaking his hay, using the old rock sifter.

Done, I then deviated from my plan, which was to get the others out, and met Pete and several of our friends at a local bar.

We came home, and at 7:30 p.m. we got Hrimmi and Raudi out. Much to Pete’s dismay, I treated the two hour outing like I had all the time in the world. Raudi and I worked together, doing obstacle work and suppling. We also ran on the road in going from one trail to the next. She has finally become a reliable and experienced trail horse. Hrimmi is only six, and is not there yet. Still, in watching her, I could see that she will be the trained horse that Raudi is, and sense it will take half the time.

We ate late, at 9:45 p.m. I was so tired I nearly forgot to take my retainers out. After dinner, I went out, cut down and threw the horses a few saplings, and gave them more hay. Tomorrow, for sure, I have to get Tyra out. I want to keep doing ground work with her – I will begin her riding related training after the CTR.

I have answers to most questions, but for the life of me cannot say why I spend so much time tending to, riding, and obsessing about these animals. I don’t know. I just don’t know. All I can now say is that deep down, I know that this is the right thing to do.

Next: 133. 5/13/18: Birthday

Horse Care Home About Us Dispatches Trips Alys's Articles